Commercial Pilot License

A quick overview of the Commercial License

A commercial pilot licence (CPL), is a type of pilot licence that permits the holder to act as a pilot of an aircraft and be paid for his/her work. You must already hold a private pilot license, have received training in the areas of a commercial pilot and successfully completed the relevant written exams.

What does it allow you to do?

The Commercial pilots license is a legal requirement if you would like to be compensated for flying.

Whilst this license is not sufficient to be an airline captain (you’ll need an Airline Transport Pilots License) the Commercial Pilots License, combined with an Instrument & Multi-Engine Rating forms a Frozen ATPL which would allow you to apply for first officer jobs with the airlines.

This means you can build the required hours to obtain the full Airline Transport Pilots License (ATPL) whilst on the job.

What are the requirements?

You will need to complete at least 350 hours of theoretical knowledge training.

This theoretical knowledge course will only be sufficient for attempting CPL (A) theoretical knowledge examinations. If you wish to take theoretical knowledge examinations at ATPL (A) level or for an IR (A), you will need to complete additional study.

The CPL requires at least 150 hours flight time (not including type rating training) which includes all progress tests and up to 5 hours may be instrument ground time.

This 150 hours must be made up of 80 hours dual instruction, 70 hours as pilot in command, 20 hours cross-country, 5 hours night flying and 10 hours instrument time.

How long will it take?

Obtaining a Commercial License is not a quick process and requires a large amount of time and investment.

We follow the same curriculum as Tayside aviation for the PPL. So you can start your journey with us and transition to Tayside Aviation for the commercial license with minimal impact.

Please give us a call and we can offer more tailored advise to your situation.

What next?

Upon completion of your Commercial Pilots License (CPL) you can then be financially compensated for flying.

Such jobs could include a First Officer position with an airline, a corporate pilot flying private jets, a job flying aircraft taking aerial photography, flying for the air ambulance or flying skydivers.


we’d love to talk
or social media